The Storm and the Plan 
The storm has hit. From the valley I can see lots of snow on the mountains, and the clouds are certainly thick and ominous. South Lake Tahoe itself did indeed see several inches, while other parts of the lake saw no accumulation.

Around 4pm today Jim and I were up above Truckee, CA, near Donner Pass, shuttling my dinky Chevy Aveo rental car to the trailhead so that I can hike to it. The local road to the trailhead had not been plowed, and there was about 12" of really dense snow on the ground - all fresh from this storm. My Aveo definitely could not make it down the road... heck, we spent 10 minutes digging and pushing out a Camry that somehow thought it could make it down the road. Anyhow, one of the locals had apparently gone to get a giant construction vehicle with a large plow blade to do a "mercy run" (as one of the local businessmen put it) down to the trailhead. "It won't be pretty, but you should be able to drive it." Soon the "plow" appeared, and disappeared down the road. When it came past us on the way out we quickly took advantage of the mostly cleared road before it covered over again and drove down to the trailhead.

Fortunately the trailhead has a large parking area, but the plow didn't clear any of it. So Jim and I took to digging out a parking spot to which the Aveo then went sliding into. Without sand/dirt or a lot of shoveling, the Aveo is pretty much stuck where it is, and by the time I hike to it on Friday it should be melted out enough that I can back out of my makeshift spot and cruise on down to Reno.

A hunter we ran into said there was 2' of snow at the top of the nearby mountain (one of many I would be hiking over). Fortunately I am able to borrow a pair of snowshoes from Jim and Jackie - not so much for floating on the snow (it's dense enough anyway) but to help obscure those crevices, gaps and bumps in the trail that I might otherwise find myself stepping into. I will be hiking bright and early Thurs morning, and I will definitely be carrying my long johns, rain gear, and gloves. I know my feet will be wet for most of the next 2 days, but they should at least be above freezing.

I'm optimistic that I can make good time despite the conditions. Wish me luck!

[ view entry ] ( 7398 views )   |  permalink  |  print article
Weather update as of 3:15 PM PDT on October 04, 2011 
12 hours later we have a slightly larger storm predicted, hehe. From my view here in the valley floor, there are definitely large, black clouds lingering up there in the mountains. For your information, the trail from Echo Lake to Donner Pass (the 60 miles I have left) is all between 7000 and 9000 feet with one pass a little over 9000. So, yes, right in the brunt of the storm. There are a few huts that I can take refuge in, and side trails or forest roads I can use to escape down to the lake level (Tahoe) if it should come to that.

No matter, my current course is to hit the trail Thursday morning and just deal with whatever lingering mess is on the ground. Or in the air. It's certainly easier to hike on 15' of snow than it is 10 inches - since 10 inches won't quite smooth over all those gaps and crevices in the rocks/trail. Heck, it will probably feel like being back in New York!


Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from 11 PM this evening
to 2 PM PDT Wednesday above 7000 feet...

A Winter Storm Warning above 7000 feet remains in effect from
11 PM this evening to 2 PM PDT Wednesday.

* Timing: heaviest mountain snow late tonight into Wednesday
morning... with snow showers continuing into Wednesday
evening.

* Snow accumulations: 6 to 12 inches above 7000 feet... with a up
to 3 inches below 7000 feet.

* Winds: southwest winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 45 mph
below ridges. Ridge gusts near 100 mph tonight and early
Wednesday morning.

* Snow levels: 7500 to 8500 feet falling below lake level by late
Wednesday morning.

* Impacts: slick and snow covered roads will make travel hazardous
over the mountain passes above 7000 feet. This includes... The
Mount rose Highway... Donner Summit... Echo Summit and Carson
Pass. Highway 4 may close during this storm.


[ view entry ] ( 5487 views )   |  permalink  |  print article


[ view entry ] ( 1409 views )   |  permalink  |  print article
Blargh! 
The bad news is that Tuesday night through Thursday afternoon there is a winter storm warning for the Tahoe area - where I am - with 100mph winds and 10" of snow (the worst of it Tuesday night). The good news is I am comfortably holed up at Jim and Jackie's house in Carson City, NV. I have had 40-60mph winds the last couple days and nights and it's been hard on my tarp and sleep - but fortunately no rain/snow at the same time.

I'm going to wait and see how the storm develops before spending a night on the trail but I might try to piece together several day-hikes to finish my LAST 60 MILES! I'll know more tomorrow (Tuesday). The good thing is that Jim and Jackie are nearby if I should run into trouble - and cell reception is pretty good.

No matter what, I am committed to being finished by Friday when Andrea arrives for a Reno vacation. If I have to come back next year to hike Echo Lake to Donner Pass, it wouldn't be the end of the world. But, I am optimistic that I can find good (i.e. safe) weather Wednesday and Thursday.

[ view entry ] ( 1927 views )   |  permalink  |  print article
Sierra's 
I am currently at the Vermillion Valley Resort (VVR) enjoying some laundry, clean clothes, and food. I haven't had a lot of time or internet availability, nor will I for another 10 days, so forgive the infrequent blogging.

I got back on the PCT around Lone Pine, CA, 20 or so miles south of the Mt Whitney side trail (PCT mile 749) and the scenery has been phenomenal! Mt Whitney had a gorgeous view (highest mountain in the lower 48 states) and all the mountain passes and valleys in between have been stunning (and mostly void of SNOW!).

The only snag so far is that I just learned Tuolumne Meadows, my next resupply, is closed already. D'oh! So my alternative is to see if I can bribe my Uncle Glenn in to coming out from Santa Cruz to take me to a store (hehe), hike/hitch 25 miles to Yosemite Valley (and back 25 miles), or get to Mammoth Lakes, CA and just carry an extra 2 days of food. I hate changing logistics. Blech.

Anyway, I'm paying for internet by the half hour, so it's time to log out. Sorry you have to wait a while longer for the next set of photos. :)

[ view entry ] ( 8451 views )   |  permalink  |  print article

<<First <Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next> Last>>


Like what you see or read on this site? Sweet! Just keep in mind it's all ©2011 PardonMyPublishing.com